Residency for Military/Spouses/Dependents

An individual on active duty in the Armed Forces currently stationed in Louisiana may be classified as a Temporary Resident upon submission of documentation signed by the unit commander verifying his or her being on active duty and stationed in Louisiana. This classification of Temporary Resident is valid as long as the student remains enrolled and on active duty in Louisiana. 

A member of the Armed Forces (including Louisiana National Guard and Reserves) currently stationed in Louisiana on active duty may enroll as a Temporary Resident, including his or her spouse, minor child, or dependent student. A member of the Armed Forces who was eligible for classification as a resident of Louisiana under these regulations immediately prior to entering the Armed Forces retains the right to enroll himself or herself, spouse, and minor child or dependent student as a resident as long as he or she is in the Forces, but the right shall expire upon the person’s being separated from the Armed Forces and residing continuously for a period of at least two years in another state or foreign country.

When a member of the military, who has a spouse, minor child, or dependent student enrolled as a Temporary Resident, is transferred out of the state, the student may continue to attend under this classification as long as the enrollment is continuous, excluding summers.  Students classified as Temporary Resident must show proof of his/her or his/her parent’s or spouse’s military status at each registration period while enrolled and classified as a Temporary Resident.

Louisiana residents and their dependents, who are on active military duty stationed outside of Louisiana as a direct result of their military service, shall be determined to have Temporary Resident student status in Louisiana. Further, former active military personnel and their dependents shall maintain Temporary Resident student status for a period of one calendar year after official separation from military service. After the one year period expires, determination of resident student status for former active military personnel and their dependents shall be governed by the residency guidelines relating to non-military personnel.

Non-Louisiana Residency Reclassification Applications, which outline the required supporting documentation, are available in the Office of Admissions and on the Delgado web site. The application along with all supporting documentation must be submitted to the Office of Admissions for new students or to the Office of the Registrar for readmit and continuing students within 21 days after the first day of classes. Appeals of denial for reclassification as non-residents must be submitted to the Admissions Review Committee at the student’s home campus.