Institutional Advancement serves the entire College and receives over 300 requests for printed materials in a typical year. To meet these requests on deadline, planning, and scheduling are critical.
As soon as your department determines a need for printed materials (even if dates, content, budget, etc. are incomplete), send a work order to publications coordinator and indicate when the final information will be available. Also specify any deadline you request for delivery of your project.
For any project that requires off-campus printing (brochures, full color flyers, posters, etc.), work orders should be submitted at least six weeks in advance of deadline. This allows for two weeks of planning (including copywriting and estimating), two weeks for design and proofing, and two weeks for printing and production.
1. Fill out a Graphic Design/Printing Services Work Order with as much detail as possible. Please note the work order needs to have an approval signature from the department head/supervisor, as well as a representative of Institutional Advancement. Depending on the complexity of your project, you may want to discuss it with the publications coordinator, to ensure everyone is clear on the purpose of the piece. Please note that the projects will be completed on a first-come first-serve basis.
2. If you are supplying copy, please provide it in a Word document, via email or CD. Please make sure you thoroughly spell check the document, and do not use any formatting. Any attempt to pre-format your copy using multiple spaces or tabs, indents, columns, justification, etc. will add instead of save design time. Also please forgo the use of clip art. If you have a concept you wish to use please provide a description.
3. You will receive a proof of your project in as timely a manner as possible. Please check thoroughly for incorrect information as well as typographical errors. If there are changes to be made, please mark them on the proof and return it to the publications coordinator. You will receive additional proofs until everything is correct. At this point, please sign indicating your approval, and return it to the publications coordinator.
4. All external projects costing $5,000 or more must go through the College’s established bidding process, which can take up to 21 days, depending on the cost of the job. Bids are sent to at least three vendors to achieve the best price. You will receive a cost estimate, to be approved by signature and returned to Institutional Advancement. Then you will need to enter a purchase requisition and obtain a purchase order through the Purchasing Office. This process can take up to a week or longer.
5. Once the layout has been approved and the purchase order has been generated, the electronic files will then be finalized and sent to the printer. The publications coordinator will receive a proof from the printer to be checked for technical problems only. Any changes made to copy or photos at this time will result in expensive correction fees and a delay in delivery.