History

Since the early 20th century, Delgado has served the various educational needs of the New Orleans community. A New Orleans businessman and philanthropist, Isaac Delgado donated funds for establishing a manual trades school for boys. From its opening in 1921, the school has evolved from a vocational school for the metal and woodworking trades to a college for men and women of all ages who reflect the diversity of the New Orleans metropolitan area. Delgado is a comprehensive community college and a major institution of higher education in Louisiana. It is a center for professional and advanced technology, career education, education in the arts and sciences, and traditional occupational education. From its original location on City Park Avenue, the College has expanded to include several sites on the east and west banks, north and south shores, the historic Charity School of Nursing, and has merged with the Louisiana Technical College Region 1 to form the College’s Technical Division.

College Mission

Delgado Community College provides a learning-centered environment in which to prepare students from diverse backgrounds to attain their educational, career, and personal goals, to think critically, to demonstrate leadership, and to be productive and responsible citizens.

Communication Division Mission

The Communication Division offers instruction dedicated to the improvement of the fundamental skills of reading, writing, and comprehension and to the provision of a functional understanding of the relationship between language and thought.

 

LESTER ADELSBERG, PH.D., Dean, Communication Division

City Park Campus, Building 1, 115E  (504) 671-6529

West Bank Campus, LaRocca  Hall, 223  (504) 762-3224

ladels@dcc.edu