Graduation Requirements


A student may qualify for an associate degree or certificate if he or she has satisfactorily:

1. Completed work in his or her curriculum as described in either the a.) Entry College Catalog - the catalog in effect during the first semester of a student's latest unbroken enrollment period; or b.) Exit College Catalog - the catalog in effect during the semester in which a student completes graduation requirements. Failure to attend a summer session does not constitute a break in enrollment.

Change of College Catalog

For a student who changes majors, the entry College Catalog becomes the catalog in effect the semester in which the student changed to the current major during the student's latest unbroken enrollment period. The student who changes majors has the option of utilizing the new entry College Catalog or the exit College Catalog.  If a student requests a change in College Catalog under which the student may fulfill graduation requirements, the student must meet the requirements and follow the procedures outlined below:

Requirements for a Catalog Change

Changes in College Catalog may be approved to allow a student who misses a fall or spring semester to go back to the student's original entry catalog only if the student had completed two-thirds (2/3) of the courses required for the degree or certificate under the original entry catalog at the time the break in enrollment occurred.  A change of College Catalog must be approved by the student's advisor, division dean and Campus Provost. The Vice Chancellor for Learning and Student Development must also approve requests to use catalogs over five years old where there has been a break in enrollment.  A student may not request any College Catalog other than the original entry catalog, the catalog in effect when the student changed majors (to be used only for that new major), or the catalog in effect upon completion of graduation requirements.

Procedures to Change Catalog

If a student wishes to request a change of College Catalog for graduation requirements, the student must complete a Request for Change of College Catalog for Degree or Certificate Requirements Form, Form 1413/002. This form must be signed by the student's advisor, division dean, and Campus Provost. The signature of the Vice Chancellor for Learning and Student Development is required for requests to use a catalog over five years old where there has been break in enrollment.

2. Earned at least a "C" in each required major course and has an overall grade point average of 2.0 on all courses used toward the degree or certificate as well as a cumulative average of "C" in courses taken at Delgado Community College. A student who earns an "F" in a required course ("D" or "F" in a major course) must repeat the course. No substitution may be made nor may the course be taken at another institution and transferred to Delgado. (The last grade earned is the official grade in any repeated course.)

3. Earned at least 25 percent of the semester hours required for the degree/certificate through instruction offered at Delgado.  (Non-traditional credits awarded by Delgado may not be used to meet this requirement.) Nine of these credits must be in courses required in the major (those courses in which a minimum grade of "C" is required). Individual programs may have additional residency requirements; students should check with their academic advisor.

4. Completed 12 of the final 15 hours of required courses applied toward the degree or certificate in residence at Delgado Community College. Nontraditional credits (CLEP, LEAP, etc.) may not be included in the 12 hours.

5. Used no more than a total of 24 credit hours from non-traditional sources to meet certificate/degree requirements.

6. Earned no more than one-third of the credits needed in required major courses from non-traditional sources.

7. Completed at least the number of credits stipulated in the degree/certificate program. In cases where programs are revised and a course is no longer available, completion of the total number of credit hours required in the curriculum as listed in the catalog being followed is mandatory; however, an appropriate substitution may be made.

8. Received in writing through all administrative channels approval for any deviation from the curriculum, as stated in the catalog being followed. Students are reminded that they may not receive credit for a lower-level course in a sequence after earning credit in the higher level course (for example, may not receive credit for MATH 118 after completing MATH 130).

9. Made application for graduation for fall commencement or spring commencement according to the Academic Calendar in the current Student Handbook or the current College Catalog and met the deadline for submitting all paperwork (i.e., course substitutions, catalog changes, grade changes, etc.).

10. Fulfilled all other obligations and regulations including financial obligations to the College prior to established dates.  Financial aid recipients who have student loans must attend an exit interview before they will be allowed to participate in graduation or receive their diplomas.  Students should contact the office of Student Financial Assistance for details.

11. Paid the appropriate graduation fee.  A student who does not complete graduation requirements for the anticipated academic year must pay an additional graduation fee during the academic year in which he or she re-applies for graduation and meets the requirements.  A student is expected to be enrolled at Delgado Community College when applying for graduation.  Students who apply for degrees after leaving school are awarded the degrees as of the time they completed the coursework for the degree.  A $25 fee will be charged for each late application for graduation.