Withdrawal Policy


Spring 2018                                              January 13 - May 10, 2018

Withdraw = Pay Back!

 Spring 2018

Sometimes, things happen that may prevent a student from completing a semester after classes start. It is our hope at Delgado Community College that you enjoy a full growth experience during the approaching school year. In light of the possibility that an emergency may prevent you from completing your intended studies, you need to be aware of the financial impact a withdrawal from Delgado can cause.

 The Title IV financial aid you could receive from the federal government: Pell, ACG, or SEOG Grants, Subsidized Stafford Loan, Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, or a Parent Plus Loan---is for your use while you are a student. If you received federal student aid from any of the above programs, and you withdraw from school, some of that money might have to be given back to the source by you or by Delgado Community College. Even if you don’t finish your coursework, you’ll have to repay the loan funds you received, minus any student loan funds your school has returned to your lender. This process is referred to as the Return of Title IV.

17-18 College Catalog: (“Spring 2018 Semester” Sections):

Spring 2018 Handbook Sections:

Dropping All Classes - To avoid financial penalties and aid adjustments, make sure you drop all classes prior to the beginning of the semester. If you drop all classes prior to the start of the semester, you will not be considered a student for that semester and, thus, not entitled to receive any form of financial aid. Your aid will be canceled and returned to the appropriate program(s). If you drop all your classes close to the beginning of the semester, and you have already received financial aid, you will be required to repay the entire amount of aid disbursed to you. Once the semester starts on the first day, you have begun to earn aid and a Return of Title IV Aid calculation must be completed.

Failing ALL Classes - If you fail all of your classes in a semester, you may be subject to a Return of Title IV Aid calculation. If you have "earned" at least one of your "F"s (i.e., attended class for at least one course until the end of the term and received an F for poor performance), then no calculation is required. However, if you received all Fs because you stopped attending or never attended courses prior to the 60% point in the semester, then a Return of Title IV Aid calculation is required. This is considered an unofficial withdrawal and the 50% point of the semester will be used as the withdrawal date. An account balance will be created if the calculation results in the return of financial aid.

Basically, the Return of Title IV Aid works like this: If you withdraw or stop attending classes before the 60% point of a semester, you will have to repay a portion of the aid you received, if it was not earned. Therefore, if you completely withdraw after 30% of the semester has passed, you will owe 70% of the original tuition charges back to the government immediately. This payment can be made to the Bursar’s Office within 45 days of notification from the financial aid office.

Here’s an example for the Spring Semester: Classes started on January 14 for the Spring semester, and you were awarded the following financial aid: $2,960.00 Pell Grant, and $1,750.00 Stafford Loan. The total aid received is $4,710.00. If your tuition and fees were $1,500.00, the remaining $3,115.00 is monies you received directly for other educational expenses. The chart below shows your payback would be due from Pell Grant funds based upon the withdrawal dates.

The following chart is an example of the Spring semester:

Date of Withdrawal

% of Term Completed

Total Payback Due Estimated

February 20, 2018



February 29, 2018



March 1, 2018



March 15, 2018



March 24, 2018



*Loans are repaid to the lender according to the terms of the signed master promissory note.

The decision to withdraw from the college is often difficult; however, it is important you understand all your options before completely withdrawing. Therefore, you are encouraged to consult with your academic and financial aid advisors before making this decision. If the decision is made to withdraw from school please visit www.studentloans.gov and complete EXIT COUNSELING.

 Received Financial Aid?

Students are responsible for all course content and are responsible for understanding course-specific attendance policies. Failure to do so may lead to a lower or failing grade in a course and an outstanding financial obligation.

•    A student is responsible for dropping classes or withdrawing from College if he/she is unable to complete the course(s). Failure to officially drop a course or withdraw from College may result in the student receiving an "F" in the course. 
•    There no longer is a procedure allowing instructor drops due to excessive absences, (meaning faculty cannot drop students after the census day.)
• To withdraw from the College, a student may withdraw all the courses online or visit the nearest Registrar’s Office to complete the official Withdrawal Form. The form and instructions for proceeding are available at the Registrar’s Office (City Park Campus), Student Records Office (Charity School of Nursing Campus), Registrar’s Office (Sidney Collier Site), or the Registrar’s Office (West Bank Campus). Withdrawal is active on the date the completed form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office or the date when the last enrolled course is dropped online. The final date for dropping a class or withdrawing from the College is in the academic calendar for the semester.
•    If you withdraw from classes, all aid will be removed until attendance is verified. After attendance is verified, aid will be awarded based on the Federal Financial Assistance Refund / Repayment information below.
•    If you drop one or more classes prior to the census date, your financial aid will be recalculated.
•    If you receive federal financial aid and are withdrawing from Delgado Community College, please see the Federal Financial Assistance Refund/Repayment information below.

Federal Financial Assistance Refunds / Repayments

 Delgado Community College will refund any credit balance remaining on a student’s account after current semester charges have been applied against available funds.  Students may (accept) authorize the Business & Finance Office to apply any credit balance that may result on a student’s account from the application of Federal aid to be applied to future charges, by submitting a credit balance authorization form.  Students will not be given a refund for this amount, and the credit will be applied toward future charges including those, which may arise from next semester’s tuition and fees. Students may make a written request that this authorization is revoked at any time.

When a student completely withdraws from the College during an academic period for which he or she is the recipient of Title IV funds, the College is required to determine whether the return of Title IV funds must be made according to statutory and regulatory requirements. The rules that govern the return of Title IV Funds assume that a student earns his or her assistance based on the period of time that the student remained enrolled. Delgado Community College is a non-attendance* taking institution for the purposes of Return of Title IV Funds regulations; therefore, each student is responsible for dropping classes or withdrawing from College if he/she is unable to complete the course(s). (*Exception: Any program that is required by an external agency to have attendance taken.)

During the first 60 percent of an enrollment period, a student "earns" Title IV funds in direct proportion to the length of time that he or she remains enrolled. The percentage of time during an academic period that a student remained enrolled is the percentage of disbursable assistance for that period that the student earned.

Assistance is disbursable if a student could have received it at that point of the academic period when the student withdraws from the College. Total disbursable assistance includes that which was disbursed and that which could have been, but was not, disbursed as of the student's date of withdrawal. A student who remains enrolled at the College beyond the 60 percent point of an academic period is presumed to have earned all assistance for that period. Unearned Title IV funds, other than Federal Work Study, must be returned.

Unearned assistance is the amount of disbursed Title IV funds that exceed the amount of Title IV funds earned under statutory and regulatory guidelines. The responsibility to repay unearned Title IV funds is shared by the College and the student in proportion to the Title IV funds each is assumed to possess. The College will notify, in writing, a student who is required to repay and return unearned Title IV funds before the end of the enrollment period.

Full Site