What is an informational interview?
An informational interview is a great way for students to be exposed to different careers while networking. During an informational interview, the student can sit down with experienced professionals and discuss whether or not he or she might be a good fit for that field. It also provides the student with valuable interview experience in a low pressure situation.
Informational interviews are very valuable tools and should be taken very serious. This is a great opportunity to review your resume with a professional in your field of study. The student should think of questions he or she would like to ask. Contact the Career Services office for resume assistance.
Sample Informational Interview Questions
- What is your job like?
- How did you get your job? What type of jobs and experiences led to your current position?
- What type of experience should a student have to get into this field?
- What do you like and dislike about this field?
- What are the various jobs in this field?
- How does a person progress in your field? What is a typical career path for someone in your field?
- What are the skills that are the most important for a position in this field?