BuildNOLA – Building Efficient and Capable Businesses in 2020
Delgado Community College, in partnership with the City of New Orleans’ Office of Supplier Diversity, manages BuildNOLA, a business management education and technical assistance program to develop sustainable and financially stronger business enterprises in the Greater New Orleans area.
This program is designed to equip businesses with the necessary information and education to successfully compete for public and private contracting opportunities. Previous program participants increased their revenues, created jobs, and reinvested in the local economy.
Business development services provided under this program are non-financial resources and support available to new small businesses and microenterprises as well as existing small businesses seeking to expand.
Services include assistance in areas such as marketing, management, finance and strategic planning.
The program consists of twelve (12) consecutive course modules presented face-to-face and online over six (6) months, every other Saturday. Modules will cover the following topics that impact the growth of a business:
- Business Plan Development
- Fundamentals of Business Accounting
- Cash Flow Management
- Financial Decision Making
- Credit Counseling
- Human Resource Management
- Estimating and Bidding (includes Mock Bid Exercise)
- Risk Management Planning
- Best Practices of Project Management
- Teaming and Joint Venture Agreements
- Business Technology Services
- Loan Application Preparation
- Bonding Application Preparation
- Local Public Agencies Purchasing Processes (City of New Orleans, Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans, New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, Port of New Orleans, New Orleans Regional Transit Authority, New Orleans Aviation Board, etc.)
Program participants will be assessed and guided into one of the following tracks:
|Track 1 - Level Up
For individuals or start-up stage businesses
|Track 2 - Next Level
For businesses that have generated $10,000 to $150,000 and looking to scale up / increase capacity
|Track 3 - Bond Ready
For business that meet the minimum eligibility requirements for bonding
To maximize outcomes from the BuildNOLA Program, business owners are asked to commit to the following:
- Attend a program orientation
- Complete all courses over a 6-month period
- Participate in other plenary sessions, complete all assignments and projects, attend networking events and coach-on-call sessions
One-on-one technical assistance will be offered after training to address needs in areas including: accessing markets, legal, and accounting.
In addition to scheduled modules throughout the twelve (12) weeks, the program will feature special forums and programs to enhance the business acumen of business owners and their employees. These programs will feature leaders of City of New Orleans infrastructure projects, as well as partners from the Port of New Orleans, Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans, Regional Transit Authority, New Orleans Aviation Board, and New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
The program is supported by grant funds provided by U.S. Housing and Urban Development to support neighborhood and community stabilization and revitalization efforts.
Program partners include Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans, New Orleans Regional Transit Authority, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, Port of New Orleans, New Orleans Public Belt Railroad, New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, Louisiana Stadium and Exposition District, New Orleans Public Schools, Recovery School District, and New Orleans Recovery Authority.