AAS-SLT Chemical Technology Concentration
The Chemical Technology Concentration of the Science Laboratory Technology, A.A.S. program provides students the necessary skills and techniques for standard, everyday chemical science laboratory work. The chemical technology (Chem-Tech) concentration focuses on the fundamental principles of chemistry and emphasizes the safe and effective usage of chemicals and chemical instrumentation. Students train and prepare for employment in chemical processing and manufacturing industries as laboratory technicians with the potential to grow into supervisory positions and to earn good wages.
Upon the completion of this program the student will be able to:
- Apply fundamental knowledge of chemistry to understand the scientific principles involved in the working science laboratory.
- Understand the function of a science laboratory technician in the workplace.
- Describe, operate and maintain tools and equipment in the science laboratory.
- Develop and adapt protocols to obtain and interpret data.
- Show proficiency in data analysis and data manipulation using spreadsheet and graphing software.
- Demonstrate the ability to work both independent and collaboratively on projects.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate results both orally and through written reports in an effective and efficient manner.
- Apply all steps of the scientific method to research, design, perform, and report on a solution to a scientific problem.
- Obtain employment as an entry-level science laboratory technician in a wide variety of contemporary chemical technology professional settings including academic, industry or government settings.
1. APPLY TO DELGADO COMMUNITY COLLEGE
- Select Pre-Science Laboratory Technology - AAS as the major. Applicants must first apply to Delgado Community College before submitting an application to the Science Laboratory Technology - A.A.S. Program.
2. PROVIDE ACADEMIC HISTORY DOCUMENTS.
- College transcripts, ACT test scores, and placement test scores should be sent to the College and copies sent to the Science and Math Division.
3. COMPLETE PRE-ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE PROGRAM.
- The following courses must be completed with a minimum grade of "C" for the application
to the limited admission program to be considered:
- BIOL‐141 - General Biology I
- BIOL‐143 - General Biology I Lab
- CHEM‐141 - General Chemistry I
- CHEM‐143 - General Chemistry I Lab
- ENGL-101 - English Composition I
- MATH‐130 - Pre-Calculus Algebra
- If the Pre-Admission Requirement courses were completed at another institution, the Science Laboratory Technology Program Application can be submitted along with a copy of the transcripts for evaluation.
4. APPLY TO THE A.A.S. - SCIENCE LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM.
- Applications for the Science Laboratory Technology Program should be submitted if the Pre-Admission Requirements are nearing completion or were completed another institution.
DOWNLOAD THE AAS-SLT APPLICATION
- E-Mail the completed application along with college transcripts to Raymond Duplessis (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The application will be reviewed to confirm eligibility for admission. Grades of “C” or better in the courses above and a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 are higher are the minimum requirements for acceptance. Applicants shall be notified of their status via the email address supplied in the application.
- For complete details, please review the, Detailed Application Process for the Associate of Applied Science: Science Laboratory Technology Program section in the AAS-SLT Program Handbook.
Semester Course Plan
The course sequence plan is a recommendation. This plan may be modified based on course placement(s) due to prior academic history. Discuss scheduling with the Coordinator or Academic Advisor
- BIOL 141 - General Biology I (Science Majors) 3
- BIOL 143 - General Biology I Lab (Science Majors) 1
- CHEM 141 - Chemistry I (Science Majors) 3
- CHEM 143 - Chemistry I Lab (Science Majors) 1
- MATH 130 - College Algebra 3
- SCIE 130 - Introduction to Science Laboratory Technology 2
- ENGL 101 - English Composition I 3 OR ENGL 110 - Intensive English Composition I
- CHEM 142 - Chemistry II (Science Majors) 3
- CHEM 144 - Chemistry II Lab (Science Majors) 1
- MATH 203 - Introductory Statistics 3
- SCIE 132 - Science Laboratory Techniques 2
- PHYS 101 - Intro to Physics Concepts 3
- Humanities Requirement 3
- CHEM 221 - Organic Chemistry I 3
- CHEM 223 - Organic Chemistry Lab I 1
- CHEM 241 - Analytical Chemistry (Quantitative Analysis) 3
- CHEM 243 - Analytical Chemistry Laboratory 1
- CHTC 261 - Instrumental Analysis 3
- Social/Behavioral Science Requirement 3
- CHEM 222 - Organic Chemistry II 3
- CHEM 224 - Organic Chemistry Lab II 1
- CHTC 271 - Applied Instrumental Analysis I 3
- CHTC 272 - Applied Instrumental Analysis II 3
- SCIE 299 - Internship 3
- Any SLT approved elective (see advisor/program director for options) 3
CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY ELECTIVES
- CHTC 273 - Applied Instrumental Analysis III
- CHTC 274 - Applied Instrumental Anaysis IV
- CHTC 281 - Applied Organic Chemistry Lab
OTHER SLT APPROVED ELECTIVES
615 City Park Avenue
New Orleans, LA. 70119