Delgado Community College is licensed by the Louisiana State Board of Cosmetology to provide students with both theory and practical skills in all phases of hairstyling, manicures, pedicures, make up application and salon management. Our student’s practical skills are developed through experience in an on-site salon which is equipped and managed according to industry standards by the students with instructor supervision. Upon completion of this program, which is 1500 clock hours, students are eligible to take the LA State Board of Cosmetology licensure examination.
Admission to the Program
- The Cosmetology program is a limited enrollment program. Therefore, admission to the Cosmetology program is not automatic even if applicants have submitted the required documents. Ranking for admission will be based on completed application packet being submitted by the deadline and approval from the LA State Board of Cosmetology. Students are accepted each fall and spring semester.
- Complete the general Delgado Community College admission procedures.
- All notifications for next steps and orientation will be sent via email. Make sure to put an accurate email address when completing your Delgado admissions application.
- Notifications of acceptance will be sent no later than August 1st for the Fall class and December 1st for the Spring class (pending timely return from the LA State Board of Cosmetology). If the 1st of August or December is a weekend or holiday, notifications will be sent no later than the next business day.
- No applicant will be considered for admission until all of the required documents are received by the Cosmetology department and the student has completed all general Delgado admission requirements. Completed application packets must be submitted to the Cosmetology department located at the Delgado Sidney Collier Site, 3727 Louisa Street, New Orleans, LA 70126.
A completed Cosmetology application packet includes:
- Completed LA State Board of Cosmetology student application
- Birth certificate or driver’s license*
- Social Security card*
- Two photographs measuring approximately 2” x 2”
- $10 money order
- Official high school or GED transcript, official HiSET scores, or high school diploma.*
*Please note that you must bring in the original documents and the staff here will make a copy. We must be able to verify to the LA State Cosmetology Board that we have seen the original documents.
Salon Hours of Operation
The student Salon is located at the Sidney Collier Site. Salon services are offered from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesdays through Fridays. Call (504) 941-8555 to make an appointment. Walk-ins are welcome!
A career in cosmetology can take you to all parts of the nation and the world either styling hair or selling hair products for companies. You could also open your own salon or work as a salon manager. The average salary for a cosmetologist in Louisiana is $25,138 per year (LA Workforce Commission, Occupational Wage Data, 2016).
See the Official Program Description in the College Catalog.
See the Cosmetology advising sheet here.
It takes approximately 16.5 months to complete the Cosmetology program.