Thank You Letter Writing Guide
Use this quick guide to make sure you’ve covered the basics of developing your thank you letter. Sending a thank you after a job interview can make a critical difference in your candidacy and help you stand out among other candidates.
An Engagement Counselor can critique your thank you letter with you. Use this guide as a checklist.
- Prepare your thank you letter in block (left-justified margins) business letter format and print it on high quality paper.
- For electronic submission of your thank you letter, employers often prefer certain formats (Word, plain text, PDF). We can help you save different versions of your cover letter. Depending on your relationship with the person who interviewed you, a handwritten note on professional stationery or a note card may be appropriate.
- If you previously corresponded with an employer via email, it is acceptable to send your thank you “letter” via email.
- Another situation in which is acceptable to email a thank you “letter is if you are certain that you are the last candidate being interviewed and that a hiring decision will be made immediately.
- The letter should be addressed to the person with whom you interviewed. Ask for your interviewers’ business cards or write down the correct spelling of their names and titles before leaving the interview site. If there were a number of interviewers, send a customized letter to each individual.
- Keep your letter brief. Mention the date of your interview and affirm your continued interest in the both the position and the organization.
- Reiterate your most important skills and qualifications, how you expect to contribute to the organization, and any unique points discussed during the interview. You may also add any points you forgot to mention in the interview, but be brief about it as the primary purpose of this letter is to thank the interviewer, not to “rehash or do-over” the interview.
- Express your appreciation for the opportunity to interview, tour the facilities, meet other employees, etc. and confirm follow up procedures.
- Supply any additional information that was requested at the interview.
- Mail your thank you letter within 24 hours of the interview.