First Day Books
First Day Books Event
December 8 at 9am – SGA presents First Day Books with the Publishers and the Bookstore.
What is First Day Books?
First Day Books is online access to the digital course materials for your class integrated directly into your course. Materials are available to you on the first day of class. When you access your class, you have access to the Course Materials Link. You will not need to visit the bookstore for your course. Costs for course materials are included in tuition and fees.
Benefits of this program
- Course materials are ready to go on day one
- You don’t need to go to the bookstore online or in person – materials are linked to your course in Canvas
- Materials are deeply discounted at the lowest price available
- No code needed
- You can purchase paper versions of materials for a nominal fee (online and paper versions are cheaper than traditional textbooks)
- You can access your materials anywhere you have internet access, or download as a PDF
- Option to opt-out prior to 100% tuition adjustment date (see schedule)
How do I pay for my First Day courses?
When students register for a First Day™ course, the cost of digital course materials is included as a course materials charge on their student account. This charge is automatically added to the tuition and fees and is only applicable to courses enrolled in the First Day™ program. Students will have access to the required materials by the first day of class. This fee is applied each time a student registers for a First Day™ course, including if a class is repeated.
How do I access First Day course materials?
Once the course is opened by the instructor, students will be able to access their digital course materials through Canvas. First-time users will need to create an account with the publisher providing the course material. Please ensure your pop-up blocker is disabled within your browser during use.
- Log in to your course on Canvas
- Select the Course Materials Link
- Begin accessing your materials
Is there help available?
Yes! Each faculty member is trained to help you with your digital course materials and can provide instructions on how to access the materials through your campus' LMS. The Campus Bookstore is also available for support.
What happens if I drop a class?
If you drop a First Day™ course, you will be refunded according to your school’s policies for refunds until the 100% tuition deadline. You will have to pay the First Day™ Course Materials charge again if you re-register.
Is there an Opt-Out for the First Day course materials?
Students may opt-out of purchasing the First Day™ digital course materials; however, students are still responsible for completing all work assigned by their instructor. Opt-Out requests must be prior to the 100% tuition adjustment date (see schedule).
While opting out of First Day™ course materials is not recommended, you may do so by following the steps below:
- Login to your course in Canvas
- Select the Course Materials link
- Select First Day Opt Out button.
- Review the Opt Out information
- Click Submit
You have the option to opt back in to the First Day™ course materials as long as it is prior to the deadline (census date).
For additional information, email: FirstDay@dcc.edu