Delgado’s Adult Education Program Selected for National Award in Innovation
March 21, 2019
Delgado Community College’s Adult Education program is the winner of the 2019 State Innovation of the Year award given by the Coalition on Adult Basic Education (COABE).
The award highlights Delgado’s ongoing work to establish the first fully online program in Louisiana for adult learners studying to earn a high school equivalency diploma (HiSET/GED). The award will be presented during the 2019 Annual COABE Conference on April 1 at the New Orleans Marriott Hotel, 555 Canal St.
Started in 2014, the Delgado pilot program, called eLearn, is designed to connect adult learners with online learning opportunities that can be accessed anytime and anywhere. The program is completely free for all students.
The eLearn pathway in adult education offers a fully online course of study for adult learners busy with the demands of work and family life to prepare for a high school diploma equivalency exam and transition to college and career pathways. All students are paired with a success coach available for weekly check-ins and to support a positive online experience.
The original cohort of 30 students has grown into a statewide effort that reaches over 1,000 students annually. To date, 150 eLearn students have completed the program and received a high school equivalency diploma, and 90% of enrolled students show a measurable academic gain after one session online, according to program administrators.
Since 2017, Delgado has partnered with the Louisiana Community and Technical College System (LCTCS) to reach students around Louisiana through coordination between Delgado, LCTCS and the following partners:
- Nunez Community College
- Baton Rouge Community College
- Terrebonne Parish School Board
- South Louisiana Community College
- Northshore Technical Community College
- Bossier Parish Community College
- Central Louisiana Technical Community College
- Fletcher Community College
Delgado will continue to lead this consortium as the project expands to reach an additional 5,000 students by 2021.
The Adult Education Program at Delgado Community College is a free program available to any adult in the Greater New Orleans area looking to build academic and professional skills. Courses are available in four pathways:
- College and Career Readiness (CCR) for any student pursuing a high school equivalency diploma and/or college and career pathway programs.
- English Language Learners (ELL) for non-native English speakers studying to build reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
- Accelerated Career Education (ACE) that enables students to enroll in technical courses alongside adult basic education coursework. Students earn industry-based credentials while studying to earn a high school equivalency diploma
- Community Education courses are also available in computer basics, financial literacy, college readiness and more.
Delgado Community College will celebrate 100 years of service to the New Orleans region in 2021. The oldest and largest community college in Louisiana, Delgado provides instruction online and at seven locations. Fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Delgado offers students the most comprehensive array of education and training services available in the 10-parish New Orleans region. Additionally, Delgado has articulation agreements with most of the state’s four-year colleges and universities that allow students to transfer their Delgado credits to bachelor’s degree programs. As well as offering degrees and transferable college credits, Delgado provides diplomas and certificates in many professional and technical areas. Workforce development is a priority at Delgado, hence the college’s well-known motto: “Education that works!” www.dcc.edu