Probation and Suspension FAQs

How many hours can I take if I’m placed on academic probation?

Students on academic probation are only allowed to enroll in a maximum of 12 hours if placed on probation during a fall or spring semester and 7 hours during a summer session. 

What’s the quickest way to get off of academic probation?

Once a student has been placed on academic probation, he/she must raise their cumulative GPA to at least a 2.0 in order to revert back to good academic standing. The quickest way to accomplish this is by repeating courses that you’ve made a “D” grade or repeating courses that you’ve failed. 

Will being placed on academic suspension affect my financial aid?

Unfortunately, it does affect your financial aid. Students on academic suspension are not eligible to receive any type of federal funding and must pay for college until an appeal is filed and granted.

Note: Financial aid appeals are generally granted based upon mitigating circumstances. 

Is there someone I can talk to specifically about academic suspension?

Yes! The Office of Advising & Testing handles all academic suspension cases and is staffed with professionals who can point you in the right direction.