Practical Nursing (PN) Program
The Practical Nursing (PN) Program prepares the student for a career as a licensed practical nurse. Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) function as an important part of the health care team, providing patient care under the supervision of a registered nurse (RN) or a licensed physician.
Practical nurses take care of patients including feeding, bathing, and maintaining patient charts. They administer medication and monitor equipment. They also assess and monitor the health and illness of patients. Practical nurses are predominantly employed by physicians’ offices, home health care agencies, nursing homes, hospitals and clinics.
Clinical experience makes up more than 50 percent of the program hours. Students learn patient observation skills, treatments, and medications. Clinical sites are at a variety of locations throughout the Greater New Orleans and surrounding areas.
By the end of the program, the graduate will be able to:
- Demonstrate the use of scientific knowledge and proper medical terminology when implementing nursing care.
- Use the nursing process as a framework to deliver care to patients of all ages in a varity of clinical settings.
- Follow basic principles of nursing practice and legal standards to perfom skills.
- Participate as a member of the health care team to promote, maintain, and restore health.
- Develop strategies that promote ongoing personal and professional adjustments for employment as a practical nurse.
To meet admission requirements, students must
- Be a high school graduate or have a High School Equivalency
- Be eligible to take MATH 120 and ENGL 101 by the application date; students must have completed or tested out of developmental English, math, and reading via Delgado placement testing or have exempting ACT scores
- Pass a pre-nursing entrance/placement exam at Delgado
- Submit a complete application package
- Note: An applicant must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States. The non-citizen applicant must produce a valid permanent resident card.
For more information about this program, see the Practical Nursing Information Bulletin.
Please download the PN application and fill it out on your desktop. Do not attempt to fill it out in your browser.
The Practical Nursing program can be completed in 16 months.
Evaluation and Profile Form