Delgado Athletics hosts renowned sports surgeon Dr. James Andrews
November 27, 2023
This past Thursday, Delgado Athletics hosted world-renowned sports orthopedic surgeon and Louisiana native, Dr. James Andrews, on campus.
Dr. Andrews, a founding partner of Andrews Institute, has gained an international reputation of excellence in repairing knee, shoulder, and elbow injuries, especially in amateur and professional athletes. He has professionally mentored over 250 surgeons and 45 fellows in the field, including recently partnering with Ochsner Sports Medicine, the official sports medicine partner of Delgado Community College.
Joining Dr. Andrews for the meeting were Delgado team physician Dr. Stephen Choate and Dr. Deryk Jones, Ochsner Sports Medicine officials, Delgado Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean of Allied Health Harold Gaspard, Delgado Athletic Director/Head Baseball Coach Joe Scheuermann, Women's Basketball Head Coach Edward Fields, Men's Basketball Head Coach Cliff Barthe', Athletic Communications coordinator Tyler Scheuermann and Athletic Trainer Skylar Hudgens-Wallace.
Following lunch, the group discussed Delgado and Ochsner Sports Medicine's long-standing partnership and opportunities for future expansion, followed by a tour of the Gayle and Tom Benson Athletic Complex, now under construction and slated to open early 2024. Dr. Andrews and the group were also given a guided tour of the newly opened Delgado Ochsner Center for Nursing and Allied Health, which houses the nursing school and other allied health programs, including physical therapy and surgery tech. The group complimented the state of the art facility and technology that promises to strengthen students' experience and connect them with future jobs in the healthcare industry.
The last item on the schedule was Dr. Andrews' introduction to the baseball team, where he led a discussion on arm care, injury prevention, and careers in sports medicine.
Thanks to Dr. Andrews and the Ochsner Sports Medicine team to their partnership with Delgado Community College Athletics!
Some of Dr. Andrews' many affiliations, honors, and associations include:
- Senior Orthopedic Consultant for the Washington Redskins Professional Football team.
- Medical Director for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays Professional Baseball Team.
- Co–Medical Director for Intercollegiate Sports at Auburn University.
- Senior Orthopedic Consultant for Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of Alabama.
- Orthopedic consultant for the athletic teams of Troy University, University of West Alabama, Tuskegee University and Grambling University.
- Team physician for the Birmingham Barons Double A Professional Baseball Team, an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.
- Co–Medical Director of the Ladies Professional Golf Association.
- Member of the Sports Medicine Committee of the United States Olympic Committee.
- Former committee member of the NCAA Competitive Safeguards in Medical Aspects of Sports Committee.
- Current member of the Medical and Safety Advisory Committee of USA Baseball.
- National Medical Director of Benchmark Medical, Inc.
- Board of Directors member for FastHealth Corporation.
- Board of Directors member for Robins Morton Construction Company.
- Board of Trustees member for Troy University.
- Alabama Sports Hall of Fame inductee and was named recipient of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame 1992 Distinguished Sportsman Award.
- Louisiana State University (LSU) Alumni Hall of Distinction. Inducted 1996