S.T.A.R.S. IN NURSING
April 27, 2023
Summer Institute for High School Students
Delgado Charity School of Nursing is offering the first S.T.A.R.S. (Strategies to Attract and Retain Scholars) in Nursing Summer Institute for high school students to explore aspects of the “real life” academic experience of student nurses through participation in a dynamic and interactive three-week course.
CHOOSE A SESSION
Session 1 | June 5 – 22, 2023 OR Session 2 | July 10 - 27, 2023
Both sessions run Monday – Thursday, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. with lunch provided each day.
- Current high school juniors with a cumulative 2.5 GPA or greater.
- Preference given to students who have completed at least one of these dual enrollment courses: English 101 – English Composition; Math 120, 128, 130; Biology 141/143; or HESC 109 – Medical Nutrition Therapy.
- A letter of recommendation from a high school representative that attests to the student’s academic ability and character.
- A typed, personal statement that describes why the candidate wishes to participate in the S.T.A.R.S Summer Camp (not to exceed 300 words).
- Class presentations by nursing and allied health faculty.
- Participation in live clinical simulations.
- Practice lab sessions including CPR, vital signs, pharmacology basics, physical assessment, first aid, drug calculations, and infection control measures.
- Practice sessions relevant to test-taking strategies and improving study skills.
- Campus tours and more!
APPLICATION DEADLINE AND PROCESS
Visit www.dcc.edu/go/stars to access and submit all application materials, including the application form, letter of recommendation, and the typed personal statement. The deadline for application is May 15, 2023.
Shelina Aubrey Gethers, Health Careers Specialist