Satisfactory Academic Progress Frequently Asked Questions

The United States Department of Education mandates that students maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward completion of their degrees within a reasonable period of time to be eligible for Title IV financial aid programs, including Pell, Federal SEOG, Federal Work Study, and Federal Direct Student Loans

Students must the following standards:

(1) Grade point average- Achieving and maintaining at least a 2.00 grade point average

(2) Pace of progression- Passing a required number of hours (67% of all hours attempted)

(3) Maximum timeframe- Total overall hours must not exceed 150% of the published length of a student’s degree program

Please review the LCTCS SAP Policy.

To view your Satisfactory Academic Progress status, follow the steps below:

  1. Log in to LOLA
  2. Select the Student tab along the top.
  3. Under Check Financial Aid, click on Delgado Community College
  4. At the top right, select the Award Year you wish to view.
  5. Select the Satisfactory Academic Progress tab to review your status.

Your financial aid SAP status is updated at the end of each payment period. 

All calculations will be based upon the cumulative academic record as transcribed by the college at the time of SAP evaluation. 

If a student has mitigating circumstances for not meet SAP standards, the student has the right to submit an appeal.  If a student does not wish to appeal, he/she can attend at their own expense and notify the office once you have regained eligibility by meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Submitting an appeal does not guarantee that financial aid will be reinstated.  

(A mitigating circumstance is an unusual or unexpected event beyond the student's control.)

1. Explain your mitigating circumstances and how it impacted your performance.

2. Explain what steps you have taken to attempt to remove the circumstances and whether the circumstances have in fact been removed.


Friday, January 5, 2024-Priority Deadline for Financial Aid Appeals for Regular Term and 8-Week Session 1

Friday, February 2, 2024–Priority Deadline for Financial Aid Appeals for 12-Week Session

Wednesday, March 1, 2024–Priority Deadline for Financial Aid Appeals for 8-Week Session 2

Any appeals received after the priority date will not be reviewed until after classes have begun, therefore you are responsible for making payment arrangements to secure your classes for the semester.

Students who change their major are still expected to complete the coursework for the new major within the maximum allowable hours. All attempted hours from a prior major will be included in the total attempted hours. If a change in major results in a student not meeting SAP, the student may submit a SAP appeal that, if granted, will allow the student to continue receiving aid while under an academic plan.