Federal Work-Study Program Overview
The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program provides jobs for students with financial need. Students can earn money on a part time basis to help pay for education expenses. This program encourages community service and work related to students desired course of study. Work study jobs are currently available on campus, but we are working to extend job opportunities outside the college.
Steps to Apply
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). School Code: 004626
- Check your eligibility by contacting the Financial Aid Department or the FWS Coordinator.
- Visit Handshake.com and create an account to apply for an available position. *
- Supervisors will contact you to set up an interview if they wish to hire you.
*New student accounts require activation (3-5 business days). For handshake Assistance, visit the Center for New Student Engagement and Transition, Building 2, Room 307 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Video Resources for Federal Work-Study Student Basics
- Students must have a current FAFSA on file to be eligible for Work Study (contact the Financial Aid Department or the FWS Coordinator for assistance).
- Students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours to be eligible for Work Study.
- Students must have GOOD academic standing or be on an APLAN to be eligible for Work Study.
- If you are unsure of your eligibility, contact the FWS Coordinator.
- Background check required by HR.
- Students must be approved for a Work Study position by the FWS Coordinator before beginning employment.
- Student are allotted one job transfer per aid year.
- Students are allowed to work a maximum 20 hours per week during the semester.
- Students are not allowed to work during their scheduled class time. If a class schedule is changed or updated, students must submit their new schedule to the supervisor.
- Students are not allowed to work if a class or classes are cancelled.
- Students allowed to work over 20 hours per week during periods of non-enrollment and between semester breaks, if approved by the FWS Coordinator.
- The wage under the FWS/CMS program is $10.00 per hour.
- Students must clock in and out when reporting to work. They must also submit their timesheets via LoLA.
- Timesheets will be reviewed by supervisors to ensure correct hours are being submitted.
- Failure to submit time sheets on time will cause a delay in processing.
- Any issues with payments should be directed to the FWS Coordinator.
- All student workers must conduct themselves in a professional manner. Be respectful and polite to all students, employees and visitors.
- Appropriate attire is required at all times. No hats, head scarves, stocking caps, hoods, durags, skull caps, headphones/earbuds/air pods, or revealing clothing can be worn in the office.
- All cell phones must be placed on vibrate and not to be used during working hours unless it is an emergency. All office phones are for official business, not personal use.
- If students are unable to report to work at their scheduled time, they must contact their supervisors.
- Failure to follow any of the expectations above along with rules established by supervisors will result in termination.
- Students can apply for work study through Handshake.com.
- Supervisors must have an active job posting on Handshake to hire student workers (contact the FWS Coordinator for job posting form). Supervisors will be able to access student information in Handshake before conducting an interview.
- FWS Application can be obtained from the FWS Coordinator.
- Applications must be submitted to the FWS Coordinator. A background check will be initiated by HR.
- Students cannot start working until background check is cleared.
- Supervisor Training is available upon request.
- Any problems are concerns should be directed to the FWS Coordinator.