Undocumented Student Resources FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Can undocumented students go to college? 

Absolutely! Aside from Alabama, South Carolina, and select state institutions in Georgia there is no legislation that bars undocumented students from enrolling in a higher education institution in the United States

What are the admission requirements for undocumented students at Delgado? 

Undocumented students follow the regular admission process to attend Delgado, which begins with submitting an application. Be sure to either submit your immunization records or immunization waiver in order to complete your application.  

Undocumented males 18-25 do not have to fulfill the Selective Service registration requirement.  

Please note that international students (i.e. individuals who are student visa holders) should visit the international student page for application requirements. 

How much does tuition cost for undocumented students?  

As of July 2020 all Delgado students pay the same tuition rates regardless of immigration status. This means that someone without U.S. citizenship or legal residence would pay the same tuition and fees as outlined in the How to Pay for College page.

What forms of financial aid are available to Louisiana undocumented students who want to pursue higher education at Delgado? 

While undocumented students (including DACA and TPS holders) are not eligible to fill out a FAFSA form to receive federal and Louisiana state financial aid, undocumented students may still be eligible for institutional and private scholarships. These types of aid are usually merit-based and are found both through educational institutions for their students (such as our Delgado scholarships) or through private entities (see resources on main resources page).

Can I pursue any career path I want as an undocumented student? 

Generally speaking, students can enroll in any course regardless of immigration status. However, certain career paths in Louisiana may require certification, licensing, or clinical/internship hours that would prevent students without social security numbers or legal residence from fulfilling such requirements. Programs such as cosmetology and barber, for example, require that applicants present a government-issued identification to apply for licensing, which would not present a problem for students with DACA or TPS, but may pose an issue for undocumented applicants without social security numbers or work permits. Similarly, while legal status does not preclude someone from taking nursing coursework, for instance, not having legal residence/citizenship might pose a challenge when it is time to complete hours at clinical facilities or applying for licensing. It is always best to research your particular academic and career path to make informed choices and explore options when challenges arise. Before ruling out a career path, it is also always advisable to reach out to a trusted and knowledgeable academic mentor who can inform you of options or exceptions that you may not know about. Keep in mind that even when legal status poses a barrier for an undocumented student’s academic or professional advancement, many individuals in these situations have decided to invest in their education and acquire skills that have allowed them to eventually use their degrees or who have created their own opportunities.

I am a recent immigrant still developing my English skills and did poorly in my standardized tests, can I still attend college? 

Of course! If you are in the beginner stages of developing your English language skills, Delgado offers English language courses through both our Adult Education program (free of cost!) and our Academic Division’s English as a Second Language program. Both routes can prepare English language learners to become fluent English speakers and eventually enroll in college-level credit courses, though some programs (e.g. Technical Division programs) may not have English coursework requirements at all.  

If you feel comfortable communicating in English but simply received low scores in your ACT, this may reflect your test-taking skills rather than your English competency, and you might consider enrolling in our pre-college English course ALIT 099 rather than an ESL program. ALIT 099 is a 5-unit course that prepares students for a college-level English course, ENG 101. Overall, please remember that there is no minimum ACT scores to enroll at Delgado, but you may submit your scores if you’re eligible for placement in college-level courses.

I have other questions that are not listed here, is there someone I can speak with in confidence about undocumented students pursuing higher education? 

Certainly. We understand that navigating college can be a complicated and overwhelming process for all students, especially for individuals with special circumstances such as undocumented students. Visit us at our Recruitment and Outreach Office or contact us at enroll@dcc.edu to learn more about how you can reach your educational goals at Delgado.