NOLA Fab Lab
About the Fab Lab at Delgado Community College
- FabLab NOLA at Delgado Community College is intended for use by students, small businesses and entrepreneurs, and other members of the community.
- The FabLab provides a unique makerspace for exploration and creation for community learners and small businesses that are interested in digital fabrication with a focus on those with limited exposure and access to manufacturing, design tools, and technology.
- FabLab NOLA has laser cutters, CNC routers, a vinyl cutter, 3D printers, and a computer lab located in on the Delgado City Park Campus. View the Equipment List.
Want to help the NOLA Fab Lab? Make a donation!
Need to Book Equipment or Book a Class? Check out the NOLA Fab Lab Website
Educators and Community Groups
The lab is open for you and your students to come and learn how to use digital manufacturing equipment and software to help create physical objects. Please contact the educational coordinator Zack Chauvin at email@example.com to talk more about this or schedule a time to visit the lab.
Please check our calendar page for our hours of operation: http://www.fablabnola.tech/calendar
The lab is open to the public for Community Open Hours. We schedule K-12 groups on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Typical hours of operation:
- Monday: 1 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: 1 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: 1 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday: 1 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday: Can be requested for K-12 visits
Educators and K-12 Community Groups
The lab is open for you and your students to come and learn how to use digital manufacturing equipment and software to help create physical objects. Please contact Zack Chauvin at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a visit to the lab.
Sponsored by Chevron, the FabLab NOLA is taking cutting edge fabrication equipment and bringing it into classrooms throughout the Greater New Orleans region. Students will explore design concepts and programming tools that will teach them how to manufacture a variety of items.
FabLab NOLA comes with 3D printers, enthusiastic presenters, and class activities that link to school curricula. We have a special focus on the connection with the disciplines (sciences, math, and engineering). Thanks to a generous grant from Chevron, Title 1 schools within the Greater New Orleans Region are eligible for one FREE FabLab NOLA visit per school year per student group (grade). Any additional visits within the school year will be given at the standard FabLab NOLA rates: $75 for Title 1 schools and $15 per student for private organizations with a $200 minimum.
- FabLab NOLA is reserved on a first come, first served basis.
- Please book early - we book 2 - 3 months in advance.
- FabLab NOLA accepts reservations up to 6 months in advance.
- We require a 2-presentation minimum for schools outside of Orleans and Jefferson parish. You can collaborate with teachers at your school or with teachers at nearby facilities to meet this minimum. Please contact us to find out when we will be in your area.
- Please note the minimum age requirement for programs is 8 years old without special accommodations.
What's a FabLab?
A FabLab is a low-cost digital workshop equipped with laser cutters, routers, 3D scanners, 3D milling machines, and programming tools, where you can "make almost anything." There are over 150 FabLabs around the world, open to schools, local inventors, small businesses, and garage entrepreneurs. The FabLab concept was created by Prof. Neil Gershenfeld at MIT.
What will FabLab NOLA bring to your school?
- A set of activities designed for children together with teacher guides, allowing students to engage in cutting-edge scientific investigation and engineering projects.
- Software tools for modeling and simulation, and equipment for experiments in science and physics.
- Easy to use, age-appropriate equipment.
- Use of low-cost materials.
The lab will reach out with project suggestions depending on your group’s age and skill set. Learn about project examples.
Jose Cantu, Fab Lab Community Manager
Zack Chauvin, Fab Lab Educational Coordinator
Delgado Community College
Building 22 Room 140
615 City Park Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70119
FabLab NOLA inspires New Orleanians to become the next generation of innovators. Through hands-on learning, we cultivate a passion for science, math, and digital fabrication.
New Orleanians change the world through science, technology, engineering, and math.
FabLab NOLA at Delgado Community College is an advanced fabrication lab established through a partnership with the Fab Foundation. With a focus on K-12 STEM education and outreach, our goal is to:
- Be a hub for educators and makers in New Orleans
- Provide open access and instruction to makers
- Function as a collaborative space for exploration and experimentation