Please note that any Student who owes money to the College by graduation day will not receive his/her diploma until the debt is paid.
Recommended Clothing Colors
It is recommended that graduates wear dark shoes and dark colors to harmonize with the academic gown. Clothes for both men and women, which are visible, should be of dark colors.
Graduation Cap Rules
The appropriate cap for all degrees is the familiar black mortarboard. The tassel should hang to the left of the face. The mortarboard is worn straight on the head with the point of the cap in the center of the forehead.
We recognize that this will be a joyous occasion for you; however, the College requests that you use discretion regarding your conduct at Commencement. Furthermore, adornments not sanctioned by the College added to the caps and gowns (i.e. decoration of mortarboard of the cap) are not allowed.
You will not be allowed to bring cell phones or purses into the arena. Leave these items with someone in the audience. If your attire is deemed inappropriate, or if you are in possession of a cell phone, you will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony. The College wishes to maintain the dignity this occasion deserves.
The only organizations recognized at Commencement are Phi Theta Kappa, Alpha Beta Gamma, Mu Alpha Theta and Sigma Alpha Chi due to their college-wide membership criteria.
Please contact the City Park Bookstore at (504) 671-5440 for detailed information regarding the purchase of graduation announcements
Time and Place
The Spring 2020 Commencement Exercises will be held at the Kiefer UNO Lakefront Arena on Tuesday, May 19, 2020 at 10 a.m.
Since the ceremony will start promptly at 10 a.m., all graduates should plan to arrive at the UNO Lakefront Arena (Lake Pontchartrain side) at 9 a.m. It is very important for graduates to allow extra travel time, in case of any accidents or heavy traffic.
There will be a $5.00 fee for parking.
Arrival of Guests
Ask your guests to be seated by 9:45 a.m. since Commencement Exercises will start at 10:00 a.m. You are free to invite as many of your friends and family as you like. No admision card is required for them to attend. Commencement should be completed by noon.
Behavior of Guests
We wish to celebrate this occasion in an appropriate, dignified manner. Please inform your family and friends that no one is permitted to bring noise-makers to the arena and that we request restraint from outbursts or other distractions that would disturb this momentous occasion. Audience members who do not respect this request will be escorted from the arena by a police officer.
A commercial photographer will photograph each graduate as his/her degree is presented. The photographer will contact each graduate by mail. You may also view your photos online at the Grad Photo Network website. Once on the website you will be prompted to enter the school name (Delgado). You will also be required to enter your graduation date and your last name. If you have any problems viewing your graduation pictures online you may contact Candid Campus directly at (504) 366-0607.
Checking In For Commencement
1. Enter the Lakefront Arena from the Lake Pontchartrain side.
Report to the room marked Delgado Community College Graduates. If you are receiving more than one diploma you will line up according to the first number on your cards and go on the stage only once.
2. Pick up your 3x5 white card.
As you come in the door to line up for graduation, you will be checked in by your last name and given a white name card designating your place in line.
3. Students graduating with Honors must report to the Honors table upon arrival at the arena.
Honors graduates are allowed to wear Honors hoods, which can be checked out at the Honors table. When you arrive for check-in, you will be notified if you are eligible to graduate with honors. To see guidelines for graduating with Honors, visit the graduation requirements page in the online catalog, and scroll down to the heading "Graduation with Distinction."
Graduation Procession Instructions
- When you line up in numerical order after checking in, a Delgado marshall will give you instructions on marching in, when to stand or sit, and when to go to the stage area.
- Please have your white 3 X 5 card in hand when you go to the stage. When you get to the stage, your card will be collected and handed to the person announcing the names of graduates.
- After the benediction, graduates are required to hold their positions in the assigned seating areas until given directions by the marshall.
- Graduates will be directed by the marshall to the check-in area at the end of the ceremony. Be prepared to present the colored numbered card with your name and graduation number to receive your diploma.
Diplomas will be distributed in three different formats:
1. Will be texted a digital copy to the cellphone number provided on file commencement day.
2. Will be emailed a digital copy to the preferred email address on file commencement day.
3. Will be delivered via USPS to the address submitted on the online or paper application within 10 - 15 business days after commencement excluding weekends and holidays.
Please note: If you do not respond to the Verification of Diploma request, your diploma will be mailed to the address on file and NO email or text will be offered the day of commencement.