Student Preferred Name
Delgado Community College recognizes that that some students use first names other than their legal names to identify themselves.
Students can request the use of a preferred name regardless of whether or not they have legally changed their name. This information will be shared with academic advisors, faculty (through class rosters), and student support staff to support students during their time at Delgado.
Students are free to change the preferred first names provided that the request is deemed sincere and it is not for the purpose of misrepresentation (i.e. using the process to avoid a legal obligation).
Preferred first names that differ from an individual’s legal name will be used solely for Delgado’s internal systems. The College shall maintain a record of the student’s legal name, which will be used when required by College business or legal need. All external reporting of a student’s name must, by law, use the student’s legal name.
Acceptable uses of preferred names include:
- A middle name instead of first name
- An abbreviated name (Rob instead of Robert, Manny instead of Manuel)
- An Americanized name (Stephanie instead of Haiyan)
- A name to which you are in the process of legally changing
- A name that better represents your gender identity
You may not use your preferred name to misrepresent who you are, nor may you use any symbols, profane or offensive language in your preferred first name. Those who intentionally misuse the preferred first name option may be subject to disciplinary action and the preferred first name will be removed.
Places Where Preferred First Name may be Used
- Class Rosters
- Grade Rosters
- Advisee Lists
- Unofficial/Advising Transcripts
- CANVAS Roster
Places Where Legal First Name must be Used
- Student Accounts Receivable
- Financial Aid
- Responses to enrollment inquiries such as verification requests
- Official Transcripts
- Dean’s and Honor’s Lists
- International Student Status
- I-20 Letter
- Student Employee/Payroll Information
- Reporting to External entities such as the National Student Clearinghouse and other external third parties
Preferred first names are used solely for Delgado’s internal systems; external systems (such as home-town newspapers, official transcripts, enrollment verifications, etc.) continue to use a student’s legal first name. A student’s legal name will appear on all degrees, certificates and other credentials awarded by the College unless the student has officially changed their legal name on file with the Office of the Registrar. Students who wish to change their legal name must supply supporting documentation with a completed Change of Personal Information Form (Form 1442/013) to the Office of the Registrar.
The following is the process to submit a preferred name:
- Access LoLA
- Select Personal Information
- Locate Block with title “Personal Details”
- Select “Edit” in the upper right corner of that Block
- Enter Preferred First Name in Preferred First Name Field
- Select Update